Open positions at Parse.ly
Business Development Representative¶
Parse.ly is looking for a motivated Business Development Representative to further accelerate the rapid growth the company has seen in the last 3+ years. The position will be based in our New York City headquarters which features an amazing startup culture, a collaborative team, and awesome amenities.
Our ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, a quick learner, self-motivated, comfortable with technology, and must have leadership potential. If you thrive in an environment where you can contribute to a team, love finding solutions for people, and want to be part of changing the media industry then we'd love to talk to you!
Primary responsibilities will include qualifying people interested in Parse.ly, finding and reaching out to companies that could use Parse.ly, and creating/supporting sales opportunities. As an early employee you’ll be working directly with executives at Parse.ly, and your work will directly impact most aspects of the company.
What you'll do¶
- Prospect up to 100 leads weekly through phone, email, LinkedIn, etc.
- Reply to and follow up with inbound inquiries in timely manner
- Schedule 3-4 meetings per week
- Manage outreach campaigns and leverage performance data to optimize prospecting efforts
- Understand the challenges our clients face
- Communicate basic value of our product to new prospects to open up more in depth conversations
You should have:¶
- 1+ years of sales experience is a plus, but applicants of all experience levels are encouraged to apply
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Proficiency with Salesforce
- Experience with or an interest in Startup culture
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- Keen attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of and interest in online media businesses
- Experience / familiarity with SaaS businesses
Director of Communications¶
We’re looking for a Director of Communications who constantly asks questions... and then finds out the answers.
Put your creativity, heart, and smarts to work by parsing (pun-intended!) the real story about audience attention from the billions of data points we collect from the best digital media companies in the world. We want someone who can connect what is with what could be - this is a job where you'll put your imagination to work!
You will drive communications strategy, media relations, executive speaking opportunities and external messaging. Come join us in our New York City office and get support from the VP of Marketing and the potential to grow your own team.
Day to day, you will:¶
- Translate our internal priorities into an executable and measurable communications strategy
- Own our point of view on key topics in the market
- Evangelize our story internally to ensure that everyone on the team applies it to their external communications
- Use your network. You know those great media contacts you've built up over the years? You get to work with them and lean on them to guide you along the way and create even better stories.
- Write, write, write: you'll create and manage contributed content strategy (hint, we love Medium!)
- Put our execs out there: Create an executive speaking plan that reinforces our company narrative
- Work directly with C-suite to make sure that their vision is getting translated into company reality
Our highest hope is that you:¶
- Have a strong grasp of the human psyche: you understand what makes people tick and what excites them, and can use your insight to tell stories about our company
- Constantly ask questions about what is, how it came to be, and how this might differ from the expected input or outcome
- Can thrive in a start-up by focusing on how little steps will create a long-term strategy. Rome wasn’t built in a day: but what will you do each day to actively impact our goals?
- Understand big impact from small impact, and steer toward the former
- Tell other people’s stories in a way that captures who they uniquely are and elevates them beyond what even they thought was possible
- Build relationships with everyone: internal team members, external influencers, and key players, no matter where they are
- Communicate effectively. It should go without saying (but you never let that happen!)
- Understand the bigger picture of how your role impacts the company and other departments.
- Display a high level of empathy and emotional intelligence.
We think you'll be successful here if you have:¶
- 4+ years experience in brand marketing, media, public relations or related role
- Demonstrated success at building a high-growth leading brand
- An impressive portfolio of successful PR placements
- Names of people who can vouch for your amazing abilities off the top of your head
- A no bullshit factor, with the ability to tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience making data come to life
- Knowledge of how PR/Comms integrates with other functions internally, including marketing, SEO, our website, product marketing, and customer success.
And it’s a major bonus if you:¶
- Are already passionate about how the Internet has changed how people direct their attention
- Have experience managing external agencies
- Love remote teams and culture
Parse.ly is looking for a detail-oriented Finance Associate to join our Operations Team. This role will have a wide variety of accounting and finance responsibilities, including bookkeeping of recurring revenue streams, strengthening of current procedures, as well as reporting and projection activities. This position will also drive process improvements and provide sound recommendations to support strategic business plans. You will also lead projects to sharpen cross-team efficiencies and enhance controls for the finance group and company as a whole.
The Finance Associate will work directly with the Chief Financial Officer as well as our Business and Product teams to ensure our finances are handled as efficiently as possible while mindful of business growth and opportunities. We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, solution-oriented, and eager to grow with the company.
What you'll do:¶
- Handle recurring revenue streams and facilitate monthly close, working closely with our Sales team, Success team, and 3rd party partner to ensure integrity.
- Manage accounts receivable, ensuring invoices/payments are sent out/received in a timely manner
- Maintain and enforce our customer contracts, assisting the Sales and Success teams when needed
- Track and compute compensation packages for OTE eligible employees (commission, bonus, etc) and provide recommendations to ensure we continue to offer competitive recognition
- Lead audit process, acting as primary liaison with the auditors and building strong relationships
- Analyze performance, providing insight into patterns and identifying anomalies
- Understand business plan & growth strategies, and work with teams to incorporate initiative impacts into day-to-day processes
- Identify and implement on-going process improvements and cost efficiencies for the organization
- Analyze key performance indicators to measure business and operational performance
- The responsibilities listed above are not all inclusive but represent the general duties of this position. As the company continues to grow, so will the responsibilities of the role.
- 2-4 years relevant professional work experience, preferably in a tech, SaaS and/or startup environment
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or relevant experience
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, with ability to turn findings into executable plans
- Detail-oriented, combined with ability to see the big picture
- High degree of integrity, with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and demonstrate excellent critical thinking skills
- Flexible and adaptable to change, willing to experiment
- Solid experience with Excel and accounting system
- Experience with QuickBooks Online, SaasOptics and/or Salesforce is a plus
Python Data Engineer¶
Parse.ly is a real-time content measurement layer for the entire web.
Our analytics platform helps digital storytellers at some of the web's best sites, such as Arstechnica, The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, TechCrunch, The Intercept, Mashable, and many more. In total, our analytics system handles over 65 billion monthly events from over 1 billion monthly unique visitors.
On the open source front, we maintain streamparse, the most widely used Python binding for the Apache Storm streaming data system. We also maintain pykafka, the most performant and Pythonic binding for Apache Kafka.
Our colleagues are talented: our UX/design team has also built one of the best-looking dashboards on the planet, using AngularJS and D3.js, and our infrastructure engineers have built a scalable, devops-friendly cloud environment.
As a Python Data Engineer, you will help us expand our reach into the area of petabyte-scale data analysis -- while ensuring consistent uptime, provable reliability, and top-rated performance of our backend streaming data systems.
We’re the kind of team that does “whatever it takes” to get a project done.
Parse.ly’s data engineering team already makes use of modern technologies like Python, Storm, Spark, Kafka, and Elasticsearch to analyze large datasets. As a Python Data Engineer at Parse.ly, you will be expected to master these technologies, while also being able to write code against them in Python, and debug issues down to the native C code and native JVM code layers, as necessary.
This team owns a real-time analytics infrastructure that processes over 2 million pageviews per minute from over 2,000 high-traffic sites. It operates a fleet of cloud servers that include thousands of cores of live data processing. We have written publicly about mage, our time series analytics engine. This will give you an idea about the kinds of systems we work on.
What you'll do¶
For this role, you should already be a proficient Python programmer who wants to work with data at scale.
In the role, you’ll...
- Write Python code using the best practices. See The Elements of Python Style, written by our CTO, for an example of our approach to code readability and design.
- Analyze data at massive scale. You need to be comfortable with the idea of your code running across 3,000 Python cores, thanks to process-level parallelization.
- Brainstorm new product ideas and directions with team and customers. You need to be a good communicator, especially in written form.
- Master cloud technologies and systems. You should love UNIX and be able to reason about distributed systems.
Our distributed team is best-in-class and we happily skip commutes by working out of our ergonomic home offices. Here's a photograph of our CTO's setup running two full-screen Parse.ly dashboards.
- Work from home or anywhere else in our industry-leading distributed team.
- Earn a competitive salary and benefits (health/dental/401k).
- Splurge with a generous equipment budget.
- Work with one of the brightest teams in tech.
- Speak at and attend conferences like PyData on Parse.ly's dime.
- Python for both backend and frontend -- 2.7, some systems in 3.x, and we're going full-on 3.x soon.
- Amazon Web Services used for most systems.
- Modern databases like Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Redis, and Postgres.
- Frameworks like Django, Tornado and the PyData stack (e.g. Pandas).
- Running Kafka, Storm, Spark in production atop massive data sets.
- Easy system management with Fabric and Chef.
Fully distributed team¶
Parse.ly is a fully distributed team, with engineers working from across the world. People with past experience working remotely will be prioritized. US/Eastern timezones will be prioritized.
Send a cover letter, CV/resume, and optionally links to projects or code, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate you are applying for the "Python Data Engineer" role.
Parse.ly is a real-time content measurement layer for the entire web.
Our analytics platform helps digital storytellers at some of the web's best sites, such as Arstechnica, The Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker, TechCrunch, The Intercept, Mashable, and many more.
In total, our analytics system handles over 65 billion monthly events from over 1 billion monthly unique visitors.
What is the UX team?¶
Our User Experience (UX) team owns the core experience of Parse.ly’s customer-facing SaaS products -- most importantly, the real-time analytics dashboard. We do whatever it takes to deliver awesome user interfaces to our customers.
What you'll do¶
- Come up with novel interface designs and data visualizations.
- Learn about Python, Django, and API design.
- Analyze data at massive scale.
- Brainstorm new product ideas and directions with team and customers.
- Analyze customer usage data to improve shipped features.
You should have:¶
- Ideally 2-3 years experience in technology, but no minimum experience required.
- A preference for self-sufficient productivity, but an ability to work well with others.
- A highly organized and disciplined approach to self-improvement.
- Deep experience with HTML and CSS, including preprocessors like LESS or Sass.
- Comfort with git, the command line, and some other mainstream programming language, e.g. Python, Ruby, PHP.
- Interest in responsive design and how to deliver unified user experiences across multiple environments, e.g. desktop web, mobile web, native mobile, browser plugins.
- A portfolio of user interfaces and/or experiences in whose delivery you played a major part.
And it’s a major bonus if you have:¶
It would be amazing if you had all of these things, but that would be a tall order. If you have one or two of them, though, you should definitely mention it in your cover letter!
- Real Python/Django programming experience.
- A portfolio of real D3.js visualizations.
- Opinions about web app development with Angular, React, Vue, or similar.
- Some open source code and/or contributions.
- Some experience with Xcode, iOS apps, Objective-C, and/or Swift.
- Some experience with Android Studio, Android apps, Java, and/or Kotlin.
Fully distributed team¶
Parse.ly is a fully distributed team, with engineers working from across the world. People with past experience working remotely will be prioritized. US/Eastern and GMT/GMT+1 timezones will be prioritized.
Join us to build the world's best content analytics dashboard.
Send a cover letter, CV/resume, and optionally links to projects or code, to email@example.com. Make sure to indicate you are applying for the "UX Engineer" role.
How we work
We are a team of individuals doing incredible work that contribute to the success of our company. Parse.ly’s mission is to empower others companies to do the same, because the work each employee does matters - and we use the power of data to prove it.
Parse.ly values actions over experience, innovation over tradition, results over potential, and simplicity over intricacy. We distribute our work, we communicate openly, we treat each other with respect, we value results, not effort, and we enjoy what we do.
Read more about our distributed team: