Open positions at Parse.ly
Business Development Representative¶
Parse.ly is looking for a motivated Business Development Representative to further accelerate the rapid growth the company has seen in the last 3+ years. The position will be based in our New York City headquarters which features an amazing startup culture, a collaborative team, and awesome amenities.
Our ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, a quick learner, self-motivated, comfortable with technology, and must have leadership potential. If you thrive in an environment where you can contribute to a team, love finding solutions for people, and want to be part of changing the media industry then we'd love to talk to you!
Primary responsibilities will include qualifying people interested in Parse.ly, finding and reaching out to companies that could use Parse.ly, and creating/supporting sales opportunities. As an early employee you’ll be working directly with executives at Parse.ly, and your work will directly impact most aspects of the company.
What you'll do¶
- Prospect up to 100 leads weekly through phone, email, LinkedIn, etc.
- Reply to and follow up with inbound inquiries in timely manner
- Schedule 3-4 meetings per week
- Manage outreach campaigns and leverage performance data to optimize prospecting efforts
- Understand the challenges our clients face
- Communicate basic value of our product to new prospects to open up more in depth conversations
You should have:¶
- 1+ years of sales experience is a plus, but applicants of all experience levels are encouraged to apply
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Proficiency with Salesforce
- Experience with or an interest in Startup culture
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- Keen attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of and interest in online media businesses
- Experience / familiarity with SaaS businesses
Parse.ly is the analytics platform trusted by digital storytellers at some of the web's best sites, including the teams at The Wall Street Journal, Quartz, The New Yorker, TechCrunch, The Intercept, Slate, and many more.
Our product combines Edward Tufte’s design principles for information visualization with Google’s engineering principles for high-scale data systems.
How to get an interview¶
Our frontend team owns the core experience of Parse.ly’s customer-facing SaaS products -- most importantly, the real-time analytics dashboard.
We are seeking a senior developer who loves programming and shipping production software, but who also has keen design instincts and an ability to simplify, simplify, simplify -- until the data speaks for itself.
To prove these design instincts to us, we ask that you point toward some work you have done in the past that showcases your frontend, UX, or data viz design tastes. For example:
- A web portfolio of data visualization sketches, e.g. on bl.ocks.org, codepen.io, or similar.
- Dribbble, or similar, screen crops of your designed interfaces.
- Screenshots of past products you have worked on and how they looked in a shipped state, with some explanation of what parts you worked on, and how it was built. Using something like Dropbox is fine.
- Or, if none of the above are available, feel free to get creative! Perhaps include a recorded live demo (you could try useloom.com to record it); share a link to a recorded presentation at a conference or meetup; or, even share raw notes captured from your notebook. Indeed, photos of your design sketchbooks are very much welcome!
What you’ll do at Parse.ly¶
- Come up with novel interface implementations and data visualizations.
- Write code in Python that power our Django-based HTTP API.
- Creatively sketch and design new product features.
- Analyze customer usage data to improve shipped features.
What you should have¶
- Ideally 4+ years experience in technology.
- A preference for self-sufficient productivity.
- A highly organized and disciplined approach to self-improvement.
Fully distributed team¶
Parse.ly is a fully distributed team, with engineers working from across the world. People with past experience working remotely will be prioritized. US/Eastern or GMT-adjacent timezones will be prioritized.
Send a cover letter, CV/resume, and optionally links to projects or code, to the email address here: email@example.com. Make sure to indicate you are applying for the "Frontend Engineer" role.
Python Data Engineer¶
Parse.ly is a real-time content measurement layer for the entire web.
Our analytics platform helps digital storytellers at some of the web's best sites, such as Arstechnica, The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, TechCrunch, The Intercept, Mashable, and many more. In total, our analytics system handles over 65 billion monthly events from over 1 billion monthly unique visitors.
On the open source front, we maintain streamparse, the most widely used Python binding for the Apache Storm streaming data system. We also maintain pykafka, the most performant and Pythonic binding for Apache Kafka.
Our colleagues are talented: our UX/design team has also built one of the best-looking dashboards on the planet, using AngularJS and D3.js, and our infrastructure engineers have built a scalable, devops-friendly cloud environment.
As a Python Data Engineer, you will help us expand our reach into the area of petabyte-scale data analysis -- while ensuring consistent uptime, provable reliability, and top-rated performance of our backend streaming data systems.
We’re the kind of team that does “whatever it takes” to get a project done.
Parse.ly’s data engineering team already makes use of modern technologies like Python, Storm, Spark, Kafka, and Elasticsearch to analyze large datasets. As a Python Data Engineer at Parse.ly, you will be expected to master these technologies, while also being able to write code against them in Python, and debug issues down to the native C code and native JVM code layers, as necessary.
This team owns a real-time analytics infrastructure that processes over 2 million pageviews per minute from over 2,000 high-traffic sites. It operates a fleet of cloud servers that include thousands of cores of live data processing. We have written publicly about mage, our time series analytics engine. This will give you an idea about the kinds of systems we work on.
What you'll do¶
For this role, you should already be a proficient Python programmer who wants to work with data at scale.
In the role, you’ll...
- Write Python code using the best practices. See The Elements of Python Style, written by our CTO, for an example of our approach to code readability and design.
- Analyze data at massive scale. You need to be comfortable with the idea of your code running across 3,000 Python cores, thanks to process-level parallelization.
- Brainstorm new product ideas and directions with team and customers. You need to be a good communicator, especially in written form.
- Master cloud technologies and systems. You should love UNIX and be able to reason about distributed systems.
Our distributed team is best-in-class and we happily skip commutes by working out of our ergonomic home offices. Here's a photograph of our CTO's setup running two full-screen Parse.ly dashboards.
- Work from home or anywhere else in our industry-leading distributed team.
- Earn a competitive salary and benefits (health/dental/401k).
- Splurge with a generous equipment budget.
- Work with one of the brightest teams in tech.
- Speak at and attend conferences like PyData on Parse.ly's dime.
- Python for both backend and frontend -- 2.7, some systems in 3.x, and we're going full-on 3.x soon.
- Amazon Web Services used for most systems.
- Modern databases like Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Redis, and Postgres.
- Frameworks like Django, Tornado and the PyData stack (e.g. Pandas).
- Running Kafka, Storm, Spark in production atop massive data sets.
- Easy system management with Fabric and Chef.
Fully distributed team¶
Parse.ly is a fully distributed team, with engineers working from across the world. People with past experience working remotely will be prioritized. US/Eastern timezones will be prioritized.
Send a cover letter, CV/resume, and optionally links to projects or code, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate you are applying for the "Python Data Engineer" role.
Senior Customer Evangelist¶
Parse.ly believes in putting the customer at the center of everything we do. The Customer Success Management team partners with our customers to advocate on their behalf within Parse.ly and drive product adoption and satisfaction within the client’s organization. Our primary objectives are to ensure our customers have access to quality data, understand their audience, and apply those insights day-to-day, for a positive return on their investment. Customer Success is essential to product development, customer retention, revenue, and overall company growth.
We are seeking a Senior Customer Evangelist to partner with new and existing customers in the UK and across EMEA. This role will lead expansion within an existing team.
- Working knowledge of analytics as they pertain to digital publishing, audience and brand engagement
- Expert in solving complex business problems with analytics and data
- Experienced, confident, inspirational communicator
- Goal-oriented, driven by results and outcomes
- Exceptional relationship management skills
- Adaptive in a rapidly changing work environment
- Public presentations at major journalism conferences, like those produced by Digiday, Online News Association, MediaPost, News:Rewired, podcasts, or other forms of media where you would be recognizable as “the face of the company”
- ROI-focused quarterback for a select portfolio of UK and EMEA based customers.
- Drive usage, adoption, and value realization in order to meet or exceed usage and net retention targets by executing on Success Plans, playbooks, and Customer Journey
- Strategize and partner with customers to secure executive visibility of Parse.ly business results
- Develop account plans in partnership with account teams (Account Executives, marketing, services, partners, etc.) to drive product adoption, satisfaction, and expansion opportunities
- Work cross-functionally with strategic and technical colleagues to accomplish customer goals
- Identify patterns preemptively to improve the organizational usage and adoption of Parse.ly.
- Engage with Parse.ly’s product team to translate customer feedback into product requirements.
- Passionate about the customer experience and committed to being your customers’ Parse.ly advocate
- Ruthless prioritization to maximize the effectiveness of your time
- Extensive experience as:
- Parse.ly or similar analytics platform user;
- and CSM and/or Account Executive experience with a SaaS product related to publishing, brands or digital media; or
- Data Analytics practitioner in publishing or audience engagement; or
- Strategic consultant for editorial, analytics, audience development, or other critical functions within the journalism industry
- Ability to build trust and communicate effectively with C-Suite, VP, and Director-level contacts, Engineers, as well as day-to-day users of the software
- Excellent relationship skills, supported by strategic consulting skills and high level of technical knowledge
- Hunger to do the best work of your career in this role
- Strong in project management and experience leveraging internal resources and stakeholders to execute against deadlines within a complex organization
- Extensive existing network of senior contacts within the journalism industry
- Active involvement with journalism organizations like ONA, NABJ, AAJA, SPJ, ASNE, IRE, NAHJ, ICFJ, etc
- Ability to travel to client site (roughly 25% travel required)
- Rudimentary proficiency in using Github and Salesforce
The Senior Customer Evangelist position is based in London, UK, competitive salary applies.
Opening date for applications: 17 September, 2018
Closing date for applications: 15 October, 2018
Please include your CV and a cover letter for consideration.
How we work
We are a team of individuals doing incredible work that contribute to the success of our company. Parse.ly’s mission is to empower others companies to do the same, because the work each employee does matters - and we use the power of data to prove it.
Parse.ly values actions over experience, innovation over tradition, results over potential, and simplicity over intricacy. We distribute our work, we communicate openly, we treat each other with respect, we value results, not effort, and we enjoy what we do.
Read more about our distributed team: