We are seeking a senior developer who loves programming and shipping production software, but who also has keen design instincts and an ability to simplify, simplify, simplify -- until the data speaks for itself.
Our frontend team owns the core experience of Parse.ly’s customer-facing SaaS products -- most importantly, its real-time analytics dashboard.
Parse.ly is a fully distributed team, which means 100% of our engineers, designers, and product managers (including our founder & CTO) work out of home offices. Most of the product team is located in US/Eastern and US/Central timezones. We'll give preference to those timezones, because even though we operate on a distributed/async model, we like to have timezone overlap for f2f (video) collaboration and pairing. We prefer to hire US-based candidates, but we'll consider Canada, Mexico, and Argentina for this role.
What You’ll Do
- Come up with novel interface implementations and data visualizations.
- Write code in Python that powers our Django-based HTTP API.
- Creatively sketch and design new product features.
- Analyze customer usage data to improve shipped features.
An Ideal Applicant Will Have
- 5+ years experience in technology.
- A preference for self-sufficient productivity.
- Comfort with git, the command line, and Python.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams.
- A customer focused mindset with a strong desire to ship.
A Note About Diversity & Inclusion at Parse.ly
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Parse.ly and our parent company, Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Studies have shown that women and people of color tend not to apply for jobs unless they feel they meet exactly all items in the job description. We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t match everything listed in the job description. Let us know why this role appeals to you, why you will be great, and which requirements will stretch you.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values and encourages diversity and belonging at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To demonstrate product-centric thinking to us, we ask that you point us toward some examples of your work. For example:
- Screenshots of past products you have worked on and how they looked in a shipped state, with some explanation of what parts you worked on, and how it was built.
- A web portfolio of data visualization sketches
- Or, if none of the above are available, feel free to get creative! Perhaps include a recorded live demo; share a link to a recorded presentation at a conference or meetup; or, even share raw notes captured from your notebook. Indeed, photos of your design sketchbooks are very much welcome!
Send a cover letter (describe why you want to work at Parse.ly, and in this job, in particular), CV/resume, and links to projects or code, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate you are applying for the “Frontend Engineer” role.