Integration checklist for new customers
There are a few steps required to integrate our code with your own in order to get the dashboard up and running. You should confirm that you’ve checked off all applicable items on this list before you have your dashboard switched on; otherwise, you may end up with incorrect data and the setup process will take significantly longer.
- Include metadata in one of our recognized formats on your article pages (and, optionally, on your section pages). There’s no metadata necessary for your home page.
Read over our documentation on avoiding the most common implementation mistakes. You should also consider consulting your account manager to develop an optimal metadata strategy.
- Consult with your account manager if your content is behind a paywall/login system.
We can still track non-public content, but it requires some custom work on your end—typically, whitelisting our crawler or generating a set of Parse.ly-specific login credentials.
- Confirm that your articles are sending us pageviews.
See the steps outlined here. Make sure the articles you want to track can be reached without appending fragments or query strings to their URLs. For example, it’s fine to send us the URL value “http://www.example.com/article?utm_source=email”, but only if “http://www.example.com/article” points to the same page. Note that these values can’t be relative paths (e.g. “/article” as opposed to “http://www.example.com/article”)—they need to be full URLs. Contact email@example.com if you need assistance.
- Configure dynamic tracking if applicable.
- Set engaged-time tracking for pages with embedded video.
If you’re tracking engaged time and you use embedded videos, make sure you’re setting PARSELY.videoPlaying to “true.” See our instructions for setting that value here.
- Configure tracking for your Android and iOS apps if applicable.
- Modify your HTML to enable Overlay bookmarklet to track slot performance on your homepage—if applicable.
If you’ve purchased the slot-tracking feature, there is often some custom configuration required on your end. Have a look at our documentation or check in with your account manager to see if such work is required for your site.
- Implement video-tracking if you’ve purchased it.
- Confirm that you’ve integrated Parse.ly correctly with your account manager.
Once you’ve deployed your metadata code to production, you can double-check it by submitting an article URL to our Validator tool.
- Complete the dashboard setup process at http://dash.parsely.com/<your api key>/setup
- Schedule a staff training session with your account manager.
- Log into Parse.ly at http://dash.parsely.com/<your api key>/ and check out your dashboard.
- Invite your colleagues to create Parse.ly logins and download our iOS app.
You can invite new users from dash.parsely.com/(your api key)/settings/users
- If you’ve got API access, install the Parse.ly Slack bot!
- Read our API documentation.
If you’ve purchased API access, you can use it to power things like personalized article recommendations, “most shared” or “most popular” widgets, and custom reporting beyond what’s in the dashboard.