The Solutions Engineer is Parse.ly's ultimate utility player. As a member of the Solutions team you might jump on a sales call, help debug problems with CMS plugin, or add features to internal support tools -- all in the same day! The ideal Solutions Engineer knows, or can learn, a little bit about how everything works and is able to find or build solutions to customer problems quickly.
Parse.ly is, and always has been, a distributed team, which means 100% of our engineers, designers, and product managers (including the founders and C-suite) work out of home offices. Most of the product team is located in US/Eastern and US/Central timezones. We'll give preference to those timezones, because even though we operate on a distributed/async model, we like to have timezone overlap for f2f (video) collaboration and pairing. We prefer to hire US-based candidates, but we'll consider Canada, Mexico, and Argentina for this role.
For this role, you need to love to help people and solve problems. You need to be technical enough to gain deep experience in analytics -- not just our tools, but the tools our customers use. You need to stay close to our customers and understand how they use our product, APIs, and infrastructure, as well as how it fits into their broader analytics goals.
You have to love the idea of explaining tough technical concepts to a non-technical crowd. You want to use your people skills to work closely with top media companies and leading brands. You want to solve huge problems for them, but also sharpen your technical skills by staying embedded in the product team.
A Day In The Life of a Solutions Engineer
In interacting with customers, you’re likely to work with open source content management systems (such as Wordpress, Drupal), SQL data warehouses (such as Redshift, BigQuery), video player plug-ins (such as JWPlayer, VideoJS), and iOS/Android mobile SDKs. When you talk to a customer about how we work with those systems, you'll know it top to bottom because you also helped write the documentation, or even the plugin itself.
You care deeply about our users and partners, and will evaluate yourself on how well you help them.
Your Responsibilities On The Team
- Communicate how Parse.ly can solve business and technical challenges, from high-level use cases to code implementation.
- Practice your stellar troubleshooting and debugging techniques daily and communicate these effectively to the internal Parse.ly team and externally to customers via web, email, and phone/video discussion.
- Create technical content and documentation to showcase common use cases, common issues, and best practices.
- Help improve the Parse.ly product by identifying areas of improvement or growth through your direct line of communication with the customer. Or, if necessary, build it yourself.
- Strike a balance between reacting to support issues and creating a proactive routine to identify and communicate common issues before they arise.
- Work closely with the product team and support team to improve usage across our entire platform.
- People with past experience working remotely (especially on fully distributed teams) will be prioritized.
In the first 30 days, you will:
- Make your first commit and push it to production
- Familiarize yourself with Parse.ly's integration for customer websites
- Shadow customer calls with other Solutions Engineers
- Learn our internal tooling for debugging customer integrations
- Understand the problem our product solves for customers, and how to use it
- Shadow your first customer integration from beginning to end
- Shadow your first sales calls
- Help with bug hunting and fixing
In the first 60 days, you will:
- Understand our sales and renewal cycle
- Be available to handle few support and sales tickets
- Gain a basic knowledge of Parsely's tech stack to aid in debugging customer issues
In the first 90 days, you will:
- Be comfortable handling sales and support calls solo
- Close out your first bug without needing help
- Spec out, if not necessarily implement, an idea for a feature or bugfix
A Note About Diversity & Inclusion at Parse.ly
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Parse.ly and our parent company, Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Studies have shown that women and people of color tend not to apply for jobs unless they feel they meet exactly all items in the job description. We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t match everything listed in the job description. Let us know why this role appeals to you, why you will be great, and which requirements will stretch you.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values and encourages diversity and belonging at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How To Get An Interview
- Apply now by sending your CV and/or LinkedIn profile, Github link (or similar, if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate you are applying for the "Solutions Engineer" role.
- Include a 1-3 paragraph intro to why you're interested in this role. Let us know what part of the position interests you.
- Point us toward an interesting project or piece of code you wrote.
- If you run your own website(s) or have any other proof of your experience with web technologies, share it!